Geologist, Associate Professor with Habilitation (Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon)
- Head of IDL-LATTEX analogue modelling lab
- Member of the directive board of IDL Research Associate Lab
My Mastodon account: Mastodon
Example of presently ongoing research:
Dynamically self consistent numerical modelling (using Underworld) of continental subduction beneath oceanic lithosphere, i.e., upon the arrival of continental lithosphere to an intra-oceanic subduction zone. The system is exclusively driven by the force balance between the negative buoyancy of the initial oceanic subducting slab and the viscous resistance in the mantle (no externally forced velocity BC were prescribed).
Activity as a reviewer for international scientific journals:
- Tectonics (AGU)
- Nature Communications (Springer Nature)
- Journal of Structural Geology (Elsevier)
- Tectonophysics (Elsevier)
- Journal of Geodynamics (Elsevier)
- Geological Magazine (Cambridge University Press)
Habilitation (Geology) – University of Lisbon, March 2018
- Arguers: Jacques Malavieille and Jesus Galindo-Zaldivar
- Classification: Maximum classification of “aprovado” attributed unanimously
PhD in Geology (Internal Geodynamics) – University of Lisbon, July 2003
- Thesis: “Tectonic study of the Viana do Alentejo-Alvito sector: Geodynamic evolution and analogue modelling of key structures in selected outcrops (SW Iberian Variscan Fold Belt) / “Estudo Tectónico Do Sector De Viana Do Alentejo-Alvito: Evolução Geodinâmica e Modelação Analógica de Estruturas em Afloramentos Chave (Ramo Sul da Cadeia Varisca Ibérica – SW da Zona de Ossa Morena)”. Ph.D.Thesis, Fac. Ciênc. Univ. Lisboa, p.364.
- Supervisors: António Ribeiro e José Brandão Silva.
- Classification: Maximum classification of “Distinção e Louvor” attributed unanimously
MSc in Geology (Internal Dynamic Geology) – University of Lisbon, July 1996
- Thesis: “Tectonic study and detailed geological mapping of the Alvito-Água de Peixe sector (Ossa Morena Zone, SW Iberian Variscan Fold Belt)” / Estudo tectónico e cartografia geológica de pormenor do sector chave de Alvito-Água de Peixe (Zona de Ossa Morena). M.Sc Thesis, Fac. Ciênc. Univ. Lisboa, p.147.
- Supervisors: António Ribeiro e Paulo Fonseca.
- Classification: Maximum classification of “Muito Bom” attributed unanimously
BSc (4 years “Licenciatura”) in Geology (scientific branch) – University of Lisbon, October 1993
- Classification: Final average grade of 15 out of 20.
Associate Professor (“Professor Associado”) – Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon, since May 2023
Assistant Professor (“Professor Auxiliar”) – Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon, from July 2003 to May 2023
Tutor (off-campus) of Heriot-Watt University (Edinburg, Scotland), from Abril 2014 to February 2020
Lecturer of the Petroleum Geoscience course of the Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering offered by the Heriot-Watt University and ISPG/GALP consortium (“Instituto do Petróleo e Gás, Galp Energia”).
Trainee Assistant (“Assistente”) – Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon, from January 2000 to July 2003
Trainee Assistant of the Geodynamics section (Geology Department, Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon)
PhD Scholarship holder – from February 1997 to December 1999
PhD scholarship granted by the national science foundation – FCT (“Fundação Para a Ciência e Tecnologia”).
Trainee Scholarship holder – from September 1996 to January 1997
Trainee scholarship granted by the national geological survey (IGM – “Instituto Geológico Mineiro”)
MSc Scholarship holder – from April 1994 to July 1996
MSc scholarship granted by the national science foundation (JNICT – “Junta Nacional de Investigação Científica e Tecnológica”).
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- APG – Associação Portuguesa de Geólogos
- AGU – American Geophysical Union
- EGU – European Geosciences Union